It's now a whole new year and you know what that means! Resolutions to start eating healthier have been made, and I'm sure some of you are already facing some trouble into what to make for your next meals for lunch or dinner. Sure, a salad may seem boring now, but not when you use the right ingredients and add more flavor to it! A honey mustard chicken salad is one healthy recipe I LOVE to make which fills me up without the overload of "bad" calories! And with the addition of avocado, you have the creamy consistency to go with its nice crunch and refreshing flavors.
Wondering how to make it? Read on as I show you the recipe!
Honey Mustard Chicken Salad Recipe
For those who are beginning the healthy eating route but can't stand the taste of plain salads, let this honey mustard chicken salad change your mind! It has a mix of sweet and savory flavors with a five-ingredient dressing- WITHOUT yogurt or mayo! I'm in love with the tangy and refreshing taste that's very different from the usual vinaigrette and oil dressings. No more basic Caesar salads or plain lettuce!
This recipe serves four people and takes 20 minutes to make plus two hours for marinating the chicken). Also, it's just 410 calories a serving!
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup of honey
- Three tablespoons of whole-grain mustard
- Two tablespoons of Dijon Mustard, smooth and mild
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- One or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (this ingredient is only optional so you can cut through its sweet flavors)
- One teaspoon of minced garlic
- Salt for seasoning
- Four skinless and boneless chicken breasts or thighs
For the salad:
- Quarter cup bacon, diced (fat and rind is trimmed off)
- Four cups of Romaine lettuce leaves, washed
- One cup of sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
- One large avocado, pitted and sliced
- Quarter cup of corn kernels
- A quarter of a red onion, sliced
1. Whisk all the ingredients of the dressing together until well-combined. Pour half of the dressing into a shallow dish and allow the chicken fillets to marinade on it for about two hours. Refrigerate the other half of the dressing to use later.
2. Heat your nonstick pan (can be a skillet or grill pan) at medium-heat with a teaspoon of oil. Once heated, sear or grill the chicken fillets per side until it's golden, crispy, or cooked through. I recommend that you cook it in batches so as to avoid excess water to release. This may take about 15 minutes, so you are able to prepare your vegetables while doing so.
3. When the chicken is now cooked, set aside and let it rest while you prepare the vegetables. Wipe the pan with a paper towel and add another teaspoon of oil. Fry the bacon until it becomes crispy.
4. Slice the chicken fillet into strips then prepare your salad with all the leaves, sliced avocado, corn, tomatoes, onions, and the chicken.
5. Whisk two tablespoons of water with the other half of the untouched dressing and drizzle it over your salad. Sprinkle bacon and then season the salad with a bit of salt and cracked pepper for flavor (though this is just optional).
And there you have it! Here are some extra tips you may want to utilize while making the salad:
- If you want to lessen the fat and calories, then I recommend that you omit the avocado and/or bacon.
- If you are having trouble with the time, you don't need to marinade the chicken for a whole two hours. Even half an hour is fine.
- If you feel like the sweetness of the honey is too much, you can add just a bit of white wine vinegar to taste.
This recipe is perfect for appetizers or full meals because it has the complete feet of macronutrients you need to stay satisfied and energized for the rest of the day. From the bacon down to the delicious barbecued chicken, eating healthier is made easier and much more enjoyable!
If you're looking for a healthy and refreshing recipe amidst boring salads and boiled chicken, then this is it! With just a bit of bacon and a bed of bright and delicious veggies and chicken (plus avocado!), you're bound to enjoy healthy living more! You can also prepare this for your family and friends to have them start a better lifestyle as well!
I hope that this honey mustard chicken salad recipe helped you take that step forward to your journey to fitness this new year! So don't wait any longer and try out this salad today.
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences with making delicious salads like these, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think!