Whenever I have an intimate celebration coming up, the first thing comes to mind is SALMON. You'll be surprised to know that this healthy ingredient is more than just for Japanese restaurants. A favorite of mine is a good salmon piccata recipe, bringing an Italian twist to the usual plain or raw salmon. Using a traditional salmon piccata recipe, I will share with you exactly how to achieve this dish without the need for any fancy equipment or skills whatsoever. What makes this another favorite of mine is that anyone will be able to do it!
Salmon Piccata Recipe
This is one traditional Italian recipe, with a simple sauce that combines rich butter, tangy lemon juice, and briny capers to create that delicious and bright accent for your crispy salmon fillets. With a bed of orzo, tender broccoli, and the light cream, it's a fancy dish without the hassle of preparation and cooking.
This recipe serves four people and takes 30 minutes to make. It is also 610 calories per serving.
- Four salmon fillets with its skin on (remember to only use fresh salmon for a better quality flavor)
- Half a pound of Orzo pasta
- One lemon
- A pound of broccoli
- Three tablespoons of roasted almonds
- Two tablespoons of butter
- Two tablespoons of creme fraiche
- One tablespoon of capers
1. Prepare your ingredients and wash all the fresh produce. Dry them all after to get it ready for cooking.
Cut your broccoli into florets. Roughly chop your almonds. Remove yellow rinds of your lemon and mince its rind to get lemon zest. You can opt to use a zester to make it easier.
Place all your ingredients in bowls to make it easier to pour or add to the pot. After preparing the ingredients, heat a medium pot with salted water and have it boil on high for the pasta.
2. In a nonstick pan, heat two teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until it becomes hot. Add your broccoli and season it with salt and pepper. Cook the broccoli and stir it from time to time for about seven minutes or once the broccoli begins to soften.
Add a quarter-cup of water and continue to cook the broccoli, stirring it occasionally for around two minutes or once the broccoli is softer and the water is cooked off. Once the broccoli is cooked, transfer it to a bowl, seasoning it with salt and pepper for flavor. Set it aside and ready the pan.
3. While the broccoli is cooking, add your pasta to the pot of boiling water. Cook the pasta uncovered for around eight to ten minutes or once the pasta becomes al dente, which is a slightly firm texture. Turn off the heat and drain the pasta. Return it to the pot.
4. Before frying the salmon, pat them dry using paper towels and then season it with salt and pepper on all sides. In the same pan, you used for the broccoli, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat until it becomes hot. Add the salmon with its skin side down on the pan. Cook it for about five minutes on its first side or once the skin is crispy and a bit browned. After, flip it.
5. Add your butter, juice of two lemon wedges, and capers to your pan. Cook for about two minutes, spooning sauce over the fillets. Turn off the stove and add some of the juice of your remaining lemon wedges to the sauce, stirring it.
6. Add the broccoli, lemon zest, and creme fraiche to the pasta. Drizzle a bit of olive oil as well. Stir everything until well-combined and season it with salt and pepper. Divide the pasta into four and top it with your salmon and its sauce. Garnish the salmon piccata with almonds and enjoy!
In this recipe, I used Orzo pasta, but you can also substitute it for other forms of carbs, such as rice, other types of pasta, or steamed vegetables. Take note that substituting the Orzo pasta may change the calorie count.
And there you have it! With such a simple and delicious recipe like this, you'll have the fancy dinner or contribution to your potluck that everyone will appreciate. With its light cream sauce with a good salmon fillet, you'll get that wholesome bite that'll have people coming back for more.
I hope that this salmon piccata recipe helped you out and gave you an idea of what your next dinner will be! So don't wait any longer and start preparing an awesome and delicious meal for your loved ones today.
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences on creating the salmon piccata recipe, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.